Sunday 20 February 2011

sixth life - (Sir Dr Marten)

Leopard Kitty will never forget two important fashion moments in her life: her first pair of Dr Marten boots aged eleven and visiting the Covent Garden store (Mecca). Dr Marten is not just a style statement but an ideology. A hint of the nerd or art student,wearing Dr Marten boots has a certain feeling of risque because of the obvious punk associations but also that they are tough and hard wearing. People do not see them as feminine footwear, the angry opposite to the dainty stiletto. But that is a good thing. Will the dated stiletto heel endure the London streets of black ice, snow and puddles? No. Do they cause you pain when you most need comfort and security? Of course not. Long before Daisy Lowe and Agyness Deyn wore the beautiful boot as a trend I was stomping around not realising how important they would be to me in years to come. I remember my first visit to the store. The smell of leather, veritable feast of colours, patterns and possibilities. At seven years old I looked at my cousin's pair enviously when she came to see Nirvana play at the Reading Festival in 1990. I have now got 3 pairs: pink patent, iridescent purple and standard black. I rarely wear any other boot on my foot. Wear with floral dresses (Luella springs to mind) in the Summer and skinny jeans, band tee,(Religion) a woolly jumper in the Winter. They are immutable, steadfast and ever - lasting. They are a part of me. My heritage. My identity. Sir Dr Marten I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment