Friday 16 March 2012

Kiely, she is just in time for a Spring

I know everyone is still mad over Marni (or maybe I am still behind and the trend hunters have moved onto another collaboration, fashion can be so fickle) but I am quite enamoured with the Orla Kiely range for Uniqlo. I find too much of a buzz can dampen the spark of excitement over a new collection. I don't want to have to wrestle another grown woman for a size 6 dayglo print silk top that I will wear twice and decide it is too tight.  I am ready for a Spring overhaul not a shopping spree maul.

Uniqlo are a high street chain that have been savvy in their marketing ploys, most recently by enlisting uber cool teen blogger, Tevi Levinson. They know that a more subtle advertising strategy will have people feeling they are buying into something a bit more exclusive. The combination of Kiely's kitsch sixties pop art prints fit perfectly onto the platform of a quirky Japanese label.

Kiely taps into our nostalgia. She creates designs which trigger those long summer lazy days in the park with a picnic. She makes you want to actually be one of those women, a la perfume adverts who glide their hand along long blades of luscious green grass barefoot in a babydoll. A photograph sepia snapshot of a time when you were most happiest. I think that at around £20 for a vest that is a very reasonable slice of contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment