Sunday 31 March 2013

I Have Never...


Google Image

Did you ever play that game when you were younger, "I have never.." It was usually followed by a garbled confession while simultaneously knocking back a shot of vodka. Pah! I can almost taste those shameful bygone days. I must confess: "I have never ... stepped foot in Harrods". But I really never have gone into Harrods. I am not sure why this rite of passage in a shopaholic's life has passed me by, I am a London and one from the West, it seems an easy distance.

Google Image


At Christmas time my mum and I marvelled at the Selfridges shop window and visited the Santa's grotto in that department store. I see Liberty's as a thing of beauty, traditional with an English eccentricity and charm, feeling a wonderous amount of pleasure entering its doors. Harrods, however I have been able to resist.

Google Image


Do I morally object to the Harrods Zoo? I don't think so. The strict regulation of not wearing jeans (is this still a rule? Google entry needed) Perhaps. Whatever my reasons, the embargo now needs to be lifted. Dior has colloborated with the upmarket store.

It is understandable that Harrods feel they needed to bring in the big guns as focus as been on Selfridges, with the Andrews Davis adaptation of 'Shopping, Seduction & Mr Selfridge' being cult Sunday night viewing (already looking forward to the next series). I could just gaze at the window displays from outside, but inside there is a House of Dior exhibition where you can marvel at vintage dresses from the designer. Lots of other treats are in-house for a month including the most fashionable looking fairy cakes with Dior handbags glazed on the icing. It could be a vertiable house of cards but it has got to be done. This time next week I will be confessing, "I have never visited Harrods" with a shot of vodka in my hand. Purchasing an item, now that is a different matter...


No comments:

Post a Comment